About the Program
The Community and Family Support Service is a twelve week counselling program for people who want help to address issues related to their own, or another person’s, alcohol or other drug use. Our team of specialists provide non-judgemental and confidential support through weekly counselling sessions where we work with each person to identify their goals, and provide practical solutions to make progress towards them.Join Us
The Community and Family Support Services (CAFSS) is a structured brief intervention package for individuals and their significant others in addressing alcohol and other drug use and related issues. Clients can access 12 session bundles, referred to as ‘episodes’. A typical episode consists of 12 one hour sessions delivered at one session per week. Session delivery can be by phone, VOIP (ie Skype) or face to face either in the office or in the community. The program is delivered by volunteers and students who meet the volunteering requirements, and supported by a Drug ARM staff member. All CAFSS sessions are delivered by two volunteers.
The volunteer Case Worker deliver assessment, case management, case formulation, counselling, psycho-education, social skills training, relapse prevention and referral strategies to presenting clients with low to medium complex needs. These are delivered in accordance with the Bio-psychosocial model and Recovery orientation as outlined in Drug ARM’s Model of Service (MOS), using CAFSS approved interventions as outlined in our Interventions Manual & Toolkit.
As a volunteer Case Worker, you may be required to:
- Undertake client assessment and support
- Manage client caseloads and treatment plans
- Provide appropriate treatment planning and interventions
- Undertake the administration of client case notes and relevant forms
- Attend local networking meetings and assist with referrals of other agencies
- Participate in relevant research, program evaluation and collection of statistical data
- Case formulation and case management
- Research and provide referral options for clients
- Other duties as required.
You will require relevant tertiary or industry experience to volunteer.
Drug ARM partners with tertiary institutions across our two state jurisdictions where the CAFSS program is delivered.
We currently have six CAFSS programs across Australia.
- Brisbane South
- Kangaroo Island
- Victor Harbor
Yes. For people accepted in to the CAFSS program there is a once-off discounted fee of $120 (valued at over $500. This training is necessary to develop the skills of volunteers working with clients under Drug ARM’s clinical framework.
We ask that volunteers in the CAFSS program commit to one day a week over six months. This is to ensure continuity of care for our clients.
If you are interested in volunteering as a Case Worker, you will be required to fill in a volunteering application. This application must be submitted by the application cut off date to be considered for the upcoming round of intakes. If you miss a cut off date, you will be considered for the next intake of volunteers.
If you are accepted for an interview, congratulations! Some helpful guides to consider are:
- Your background and area of study
- Your experience working with clients
- Why you want to volunteer
- Your experience working in a team environment
- Your approach to practice
Brisbane South & Ipswich
- Applications Close: 20 January 2020
- Interviews: 27 – 29 January 2020
- Training: 5 – 6 February 2020
Kangaroo Island & Victor Harbor
You will be advised if you have been successful in securing an interview in the week following the cut off date for applications.
You will be advised if you have been successful in securing a volunteering position in the week following the interviews.
If you are accepted as a volunteer Case Worker, you will be required to complete an availability form. From this, you will liaise with your CAFSS supervisor to confirm a start date.
If you do not already have a Blue Card, Drug ARM can help you to obtain one at no cost.
When you enquire about volunteering, our team will attach a blank form for you to fill out and submit with the rest of your application.
If you are successful in your interview, we will process the application with Blue Card Services.
Visit webpage below to obtain National Police Certificate (NPC) application form:
- Complete the form, and tick/check the boxes next to ‘Working with children/vulnerable groups’ and ‘VOAN Volunteer (VC)’ on the bottom of page 1.
- Take the form, along with 100 points of identification; to your nearest police station (eligible ID documents are outlined on the form). You must also take a photocopy of your ID documents you will be using. The Officer will sight your ID and certify the copy of your ID documents, witness your signature and return these to you at that time.
- Return the signed form and ID copy to Drug ARM as soon as possible before volunteer training commences.
- Drug ARM will authorise for the NPC to be processed (this can take a few weeks)
- Your NPC will be mailed to your home address. You must show the original document to your CAFSS supervisor before you can commence volunteering.
- Your NPC will then be immediately returned to you for your records
I recommend a student placement at Drug ARM to other students at TAFE all the time. I felt supported and always busy. I learnt a lot from the workers, the clients and the other volunteers.
Student on Placement
We're Here to help
if you have any enquiries feedback or
suggestions regarding our services and
support, we'd love to hear from you.