about the program
Our Street Outreach Services support people who are experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness to access services and achieve their goals. We provide non-judgemental and confidential support through referrals, information and a vital outreach of compassion. Our patrols visit parks, street sides and other accessible areas in the regions where we operate.Join Us
Our outreach services provide mobile health, support, referral, information and education centre by reaching out and assisting people who are experiencing, or are likely to experience, harm associated with being homeless and those experiencing the harms associated with the use of alcohol and other drugs. Our outreach services support our mission by engaging, encouraging and empowering people towards a healthier lifestyle.
Our outreach services assist service users by:
- Making the experience of homelessness safer for service users
- Reducing homelessness through connecting service users with appropriate agencies
- Linking service users with suitable services to support them in recovery and raise awareness around potential harms of alcohol and other drug use
- Promoting health and wellbeing by providing information and education
Drug ARM provides three types of outreach services – the Mobile Outreach Support & Health Program by Integrated Teams (MOSHPIT), Street Outreach Service (SOS) and Safe Night Precinct Program (SNP).
The volunteer Outreach Worker supports and delivers outreach services designed to provide referrals, information and at times services to ‘at risk’ populations. As a volunteer you will engage in caring, compassionate and non-judgemental conversation with clients as well as providing hot and cold drinks, snacks, clothing, toiletries and at times blankets and swags. You will also provide on the spot support and crisis information, as well as referrals to a range of Drug ARM services.
As a volunteer Outreach Worker you will
- Work with individuals and/or families seeking support
- Identify needed supports and where appropriate provide referrals to other services
- Co-ordinate, equip, stock, clean and maintain vehicle/s & crew room
- Attend training sessions or workshops as required
- Contribute to the development of resources
- Participate in debriefing after each shift
- Collect and record client data for statistical and reporting purposes
The role of the volunteer Outreach Worker is to support service users and assist them to bring about positive changes in their life. The Outreach volunteer will use communication skills to build rapport with Service Users. A non-judgemental attitude, compassion, and patience are required for the role. Outreach volunteers have strong interpersonal and teamwork skills. They are punctual, reliable, passionate, and committed to social justice.
- All volunteers must be over 18 years to take part in any aspect of outreach service.
- All volunteers must obtain a Blue Card
- Practical ‘hands on’ work experience. In fact, many of our volunteers go on to gain employment in the Alcohol and Drug or broader Community/Human Services sector, utilising skills and knowledge gained through volunteering
- Challenging, unique and rewarding learning experiences
- Professional Development and Networking opportunities
- Make new friends with fellow community minded people
We currently run outreach services in five locations in Queensland:
- Gold Coast
No. For people accepted as a Volunteer Outreach Worker there is no cost.
We ask that volunteers commit to one shift a fortnight over six months.
If you are interested in volunteering as an Outreach Worker, you will be required to fill in a volunteering application. This application will be reviewed by our Community Outreach Worker and considered for a volunteer position.
Prior to starting as an Outreach volunteer you will be required to undertake an induction with our Community Outreach Worker. Part of this training is self directed and part is conducted face to face.
If you do not already have a Blue Card, Drug ARM can help you to obtain one at no cost.
When you enquire about volunteering, our team will attach a blank form for you to fill out and submit with the rest of your application.
If you are successful in your interview, we will process the application with Blue Card Services.
My time volunteering for the outreach service has been incredibly rewarding. I enjoy the time spent building rapport with the clients and earning that trust to link them with the supports they need. I feel really blessed to be a part of this team.
We're Here to help
if you have any enquiries feedback or
suggestions regarding our services and
support, we'd love to hear from you.